“Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.” – (1 Corinthians 10:12)
READ: Matthew 5:27-30 (KJV)
- Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery;
- But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
- And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee; for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
- And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee; for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
A fire-quencher is something that reduces your zeal and heat for God. They are in three categories as listed in (1 John 2:15-17):
“Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.”
Beware of the lust of the eyes, Samson saw and kept coveting what he had no business desiring (Judges 14:1, Judges 16:1). In Joshua 7:21, Achan saw and coveted what he had no business touching. It also led to the destruction of himself and his family. Colossians 3:1-2 says:
“If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.”
Beware of the lust of the flesh. Paul said if we live by the flesh, then we would die.
“Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” – (Romans 8:12-13)
Like Paul, you must keep your flesh under (1 Corinthians 9:25-27). It was the lust of the flesh that destroyed Gehazi and Elis family.
Beware of the pride of life. The devil is the father of pride. He was the first to exhibit pride (Isaiah 14:13-14). Where pride is, you will find the devil. Pride quenched his fire when he was an archangel and he is using it now as a tool to quench the fire of many people. When your sentences are filled with so many ‘I’s, beware!
Do not tolerate fire-quenchers in your life because their ultimate goal is to cause eternal death.
Watch out for the basic fire quenchers lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh and the pride of life.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
HYMN 27 – TAKE MY LIFE, AND LET IT BE
- Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
- Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet, and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
- Take my voice and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee.
- Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose.
- Take my will and make it Thine,
It shall be no longer mine:
Take my heart, it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne.
- Take my love, my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure store;
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee.